Monday, August 25, 2014

Proper Hosiery Care


Taking care of hosiery can be very important to making them last as long as possible. Although they can in theory be washed in the washing machine, I do not recommend this as hosiery is delicate and should be treated with the utmost care. If you really want to wash them via a washing machine, then the use of a lingerie bag is a must and the delicate cycle must be used otherwise there is the risk of them getting all tangled, even possibly ruined. My preference is to wash them by hand as I like to try and take the best care of my pantyhose/tights as I try to get as many wears as I can out of each pair. Now I have about 280 pairs, but I still would rather get maximum wear out of each pair. Regardless of how you wash them, it is important to note that hot water should never be used in the process. I sometimes use warm water, but to be safe cool water would be the best. The process for washing hosiery is very easy once you know how. When I plan on washing my pantyhose/tights, use the bathroom sink and put a little lingerie soap in and start running the water. I usually let it fill up most of the way if I have more pairs to wash. First thing is to gather all the hosiery to be washed. Next, you can take each pair and inspect them quickly to check for runs, snags or holes. The ones with runs, snags or holes can be set aside. I put each pair into the soapy water and let them get completely saturated with the water. I only wash about 10 pairs at the most, at one time due to the size of the sink and it is more manageable this way. This is also why I wash my pantyhose/tights every week so that I do not end up with a massive pile that needs to be washed! Once the hosiery pairs of hosiery are in the water, I work them in the soapy water to help clean them. I do this a few times, then I let them soak in the soapy water mixture for a few hours. Once they have been soaking for a while, I go back in there and let the water drain. I put the pantyhose/tights back in and then I take each pair one by one and ring out the excess soapy water. After I ring each pair out, I rinse them with cool water to clean them. The only way to dry them is to let them air dry, and I let mine dry on the towel bar in my bathroom overnight. Most of the time, they are dry by the morning, but thicker pairs of tights may require a little extra time to dry.

Another important aspect of taking care of your hosiery would be to make sure your nails are properly taken care of. If you have sharp edges on your fingernails and/or toenails, this could cause a run, snag or hole in the hosiery. Treat them with the utmost care, and I have found that more often than not you will get plenty of enjoyment and wear out of your hosiery!!

No comments:

Post a Comment