Sunday, January 18, 2015

Interview with Tilden of To Be Bright

Hi Everyone,

I am pleased to announce another interview, this time with the lovely Tilden of the blog To Be Bright.  She is From NYC and I have to say that I love her style and the outfits she has sent me showing how she styles tights with her outfits!  I really love her choice of wearing sheer black tights, as I really think they are
a little bit more stylish when compared to the basic opaque black tights.














Hi everyone! My name is Tilden and I blog over at To Be Bright (www.tobebright.com) I’m based in New York City and define my style as transitional with an edge. I’m personally the farthest thing from ‘prepster,’ have an open obsession with interior design and an addiction to coffee that should require medication.

When I was little, tights were all I wore under all the dresses I was forced to wear. By age six, every pair of tights were permanently grass-stained at the knees and torn from the negligence of the playground. By the time I could dress myself, I lost interest in the tights altogether – I think I blamed the constant struggle to get them on as a strong enough reason to quit the garment all together. Today at age 23, I’m back to sporting tights but I didn’t commit to the consideration of having them back in my life right away. Little did I realize how vital they have been (especially this winter) and can be for stepping up an every day outfit! Now I’m proudly obsessed!


1. How often do you wear pantyhose/tights and do you wear them year round?

Recently, I’ve worn tights every third day for the past month. They really step up my outfit of the day, especially for work and after-work events! I primarily wear them in the winter to keep my legs from blinding anyone (pale stems aren’t cute.)

2. How many pairs do you currently have in your collection?

I currently have 8 pairs in my collection and aiming to add a few more, particularly textured and patterned ones!



3. What is your favorite pair that you own and pair you wear most often?

My favorite pair (and the pair I wear most often currently) is a black fleece-lined style that still appears somewhat sheer. My legs are warmer than the average lady yet they still look like tights, not leggings.

4. What is your favorite hosiery brand(s) and why?

My favorite hosiery brand is definitely Hanes not only because of the comfort, but they are also less likely to run/rip/tear due to the higher quality than a drugstore brand. I’ve gotten some cool textured ones at Target too and so far they’ve held up!

5. Do you keep a spare pair with you in case of getting a run?

Now that you’ve mentioned it, I really should! I had to buy an emergency pair at CVS and that was the biggest waste of time - They ripped as soon as I took them off! Figures.

6. How do you like to style your hosiery with your outfits? Any advice for others on how to style them?

I’m making use of my summer wardrobe by styling shorts and rompers with tights underneath, paired with ankle boots and a leather jacket. I strive to keep the colors seasonally appropriate but it’s nice to wear a favorite warm weather garment in the dead of winter. Tights are what pulls the look together and makes it acceptable. It’s definitely something to consider if you’re looking to try something new and/or tired of all the winter outfits that appear the same day after day.

8. What are your thoughts on the trend of bare legs that seems to be so widespread?

During the summer, I rarely wear tights unless they are nude and for a formal event in which I need to wear them. Bare legs are sexy, as long as they’re appropriately shaved and don’t show any evidence of UDB’s – Unidentifiable Drunk Bruises… We all know how battered knees and shins look the next morning – not cute.

9. What are your thoughts about pantyhose/tights being worn by both men and women? There are even hosiery brands like Emilio Cavallini which make tights for men with barbed wire, and even skulls on them. Also French hosiery manufacturer Gerbe, made some with a fly opening. What are your thoughts on this new trend in tights and legwear?

I’m all about it! Style is unique and should be experimented in all ways, by all genders. Stereotyping pieces as “feminine” is so tired this time and age, especially when they can benefit anyone looking to sport shorts in the dead of winter. Functionality wins.

I like that tights are becoming more “daring” so to speak and getting creative with patterns to target new audiences. I’m definitely looking into a pair of patterned tights but will probably invest in a cheaper version over designer. I don’t trust my luck with maintaining a rip and run-free pair just yet!

10. If a person said that they thought pantyhose were hot, itchy and uncomfortable what would you say to them?

The cheaper you buy, the more uncomfortable you’ll feel. I say the max price you should pay for a steadier pair is $15, which usually comes in a pack of two. Hanes and Spanx are my go-to’s and they haven’t let me down yet! Plus, reading the print on the pack you buy can give you an idea of the temperature you’ll experience while wearing them – Sheer is cooling and Solid gives more coverage.



 Hope you all enjoyed the post,

J

No comments:

Post a Comment